Newsletter of the St. Louis Triumph Owners Association
www.SLTOA.org May 2002
See enclosed flyer for details from our Grill Master, Karl Schmitt, and a map to Des Peres Park.
Please note that this is a different day than our normal monthly meeting. The picnic pavilion was not available on our normal meeting date.
As of the writing of this letter, everyone who was a member in 2001 is still on the roster and is still receiving this newsletter. The reason I have not deleted members who have chosen not to renew their membership is because as of printing time for this newsletter I do not have a complete list of members who have or have-not renewed. I called our treasurer Bonnie David to get this information, but was not able to reach her. I did leave a message and she left a message back that Jack was in the hospital with heart problems. She mentioned the possibility of bypass and/or heart valve surgery. Needless to say, the membership roster suddenly became extremely trivial in importance. I know every SLTOA member will be praying for both Jack and Bonnie David!
If you have forgotten to renewed your SLTOA membership for 2002 but would like to remain a member, make a check for $20.00 payable to St. Louis Triumph Owners Association (or SLTOA). Mail to Bonnie David, 500 Marie Dr., St. Charles, MO 63301. (Or you could use the above address to send a Get Well card to Jack!)
· Endurance Run was a great run some of our members ending up going over 700 miles. All that attend said that was the “time of their life” “blast”. Paul finished 4 places. Creig and Craig drove only 250 miles before a clutch noise made them return to St. Louis.
· The Betsers Wash UP & Tune Up day was a good day, bits were tightened and paint was cleaned.
· The Relaxation Run had a turn out of 12 cars. We lost no one on the run. The weather held out and only clouds appeared. Next Year we are thinking of going somewhere different. Start thinking of other areas you would like to drive to.
· Tartan Day was a great day to get to drive around in the Scottish Parade held in St. Charles. The weather was nice and sunny; it was a fun for all. Jack David was lucky enough to drive the Mayor of Saint Charles, and Linda Massey drove Rory Riddler, City Council President, and his Family around in the parade. It was a bit of a tight squeeze, a five seater TR3? We are looking at doing this next year as well, get your tartans ready.
· We are hosting our upcoming BBQ at Des Peres Park. This event will take place on May 15 at 5:30. You may come as early as 4:00 if you would like. We would like for you to bring a Covered Dish or a Dessert. And don’t forget to bring your Family Members also. The club will be providing the Brats, Hotdogs, Cutlery, Coleslaw and Potato Salad. The meeting will end when the park closes at Dusk. Directions? Go to the Web site for a Map.
· The annual Champaign British car festival will be in Champaign on May 24-26. We are looking to meet at the Krispy Crème in Florissant. It is a really fun car show with period costumes and street dancing. There is a parking garage available.
· The 15 Annual European Car Show will be June 2. Pre-registration is highly advised. The cost is 17.00. All money collected from this Car Show will go to the ST. Louis Shriners Hospital for Children. For further information e-mail email@example.com.
· The Mid-Ohio Car Show will be held June 14-16. This year marks the 50th Anniversary of the Triumph. This event is only held every 10 years, you need to get hotel rooms now. Andrew Stark said that you might contact him if you are interested in attending this Car Show.
· We have postponed the Bed –Breakfast trip, it seems we have too much to do. We will let you know when and where…soon.
· Next month meeting will be taking place at our BBQ. We will be meeting at the Chuck A Burger for our June and July meetings.
A big SLTOA welcome to new members Dan Tree and Mike Vance.
· Some people never seem motivated to participate, but are just content to watch while others do the work. They are called Speck Taters.
· Some people never do anything to help, but are gifted at finding fault with the way others do the work. They are called Comment Taters.
· Some people are very bossy and like to tell others what to do but don't want to soil their own hands. They are called Dick Taters.
· Some people are always looking to cause problems. It is too hot or too cold, too sour or too sweet. They are called Agie Taters.
· There are those who say they will help, but just never get around to actually doing the promised help. They are called Hezzi Taters.
· Some people can put up a front and pretend to be someone they are not. They are called Emma Taters.
· Then there are those who love others and are always prepared to stop, lend a helping hand. They bring real sunshine into the lives of others. They are called Sweet Taters - They make a great club or organization!
SLTOA has been without a Newsletter Editor for several years now. I currently carry the title, but I have never filled the function. I have only been the publisher. (I get something put on paper and put in the mail once a month.) What we now need (and have needed for quite a while) is someone who can “get the story”. At minimum we need someone who is organized and who likes people. If you like to write, that is icing on the cake. If you want to do the whole thing, then I will retire. But I am not asking for someone who will do everything (unless that person wants to), just someone to organize the stories. I am willing to continue the publishing. Volunteer today by dropping me a note or giving me a ring. firstname.lastname@example.org 636-305-1143
Classified Ads: Contact Creig Houghtaling at the address listed below, or email@example.com or 636-305-1143 to place a free ad in this newsletter.
FOR SALE - 1972 TRIUMPH GT6 MK3 Photos are posted: http://www.sltoa.org/Members/Gilliam/Gilliam.htm
Original paint, very good condition. Asking $5,000. In need of seasonal oil-change/tune-up, but that's it.
Begging to be driven. Brenda Gilliam / 636-536-1272 / mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Louis Triumph Owners Association
36 Copper Mountain Court
Fenton, MO 63026-5682
The annual S.L.T.O.A. family picnic is scheduled for the evening of May 15th, beginning about 5:30pm. Members and their immediate family are invited. It would be help full to have some idea as to how many “folks” are coming. So if you can find the time, give me a quick call @ 636-797-4203, and leave a brief message after my recording.
The club will provide “brats & dogs” along with chips, salads and soda. For the traditionalist, there might even be a bit of “kraut” to go along with the “dogs”.
Ladies so inclined might want to bring a “wee bit of desert” to share with others. As to “special beverages” please feel free to bring your own.
Most of the members will probably arrive around 6:00pm, at which time the food will be available. Our President, Richard Etz would then like to open the regular meeting at about 7:00pm
The location for the picnic this year will be at the Des Peres Park Pavilion, which Joe Mueller has reserved for that evening. It is a pretty little park with lots of space for the children to romp around in. Also there is a lake and a trail for those who like to walk. The park is located just north of Manchester Road, on N. Ballas Road, which is just east of I-270. As there is a lot of construction going on in the area, along with new roads, please be careful with your LBC.
A map is presented below: