Exhaust Notes

Newsletter of the St. Louis Triumph Owners Association

www.SLTOA.org                                               July 2002


July Meeting, Chuck-A-Burger, Tuesday July 16th, 2002, 7:00 PM

This date is a correction of the date previously listed on the website for July’s meeting


President’s Corner, By Richard Etz

Greetings!  Well the big news is that Jack David has returned!  As of last meeting he looked chipper but was still restricted in his activities.  Needless to say, he came to our last meeting in a more comfortable ride than his nice Spitfire.  Good to have you back, Jack!  The other big news is the Vintage Triumph Register’s National Convention in Red Wing, Minnesota, July 16-19.  Those who miss our July meeting to attend the VTR will be forgiven…just this once!  Details on this convention can be found through a link off the VTR website or by going to http://clubs.hemmings.com/mntriumphs/VTR2002/VTR2002Home.html.


This past Monday I received the August-September issue of British Car magazine.  In an article on the TR7 and TR8 a “Dave Massey” is quoted concerning some strengths and weaknesses of these models.  I wonder if this could be our own “Guru of Triumph” who is immortalized in print? 


I hope your projects and maintenance are going well.  Yes, it is hot, but you don’t have that winter excuse that it is too cold to work on the car(s)!  My own car projects have included work to fix a massive transmission oil leak and a frozen speedo cable on my 1978 Malibu.  OK, it isn’t a Triumph, but it has been a trusted (or should I say, rusted?) daily driver that passed inspection a few days ago.  Regarding the Triumph, I am on the learning curve to redo some junk-yard seat frames with Moss components.  As it turns out, the leather seat cover is not exactly like the original vinyl.  The foam that they supply is the same however.  This makes fitting a particular challenge.  Stuffing the headrests and installation of strapping and diaphragms went quite well.  This gives me some measure of confidence (or foolish optimism).  I’ve also learned how to remove the window glass (three pieces) from my factory hardtop in preparation for painting. 


As presently scheduled, July 16th will be our next meeting.  I imagine there will be enough members left back from VTR to make this a “go” while those lucky enough to go to VTR represent our club in Minnesota.  With two simultaneous activities participation will be doubly important.


Thanks to you members for your continued participation, advice and support.




There is also an article on page 58 of the August-September issue of British Car which may prove beneficial to some of our members who plan on heading North next week. - JHS



SLTOA Meeting Minutes – June 18th, 2002 – Chuck-A-Burger, Creig Houghtaling

Neat Triumphs, good company, good fun!


Upcoming “LBC Events”

July 16 – 19th: Vintage Triumph Register – Lovely Red Wing, Minnesota

September 21-22nd: British Car Days (MG Club) – Creve Coeur

October 12th: St. Louis Scottish Games All-British Car Show – Forest Park

Aug. 3rd & 4th:  St. Louis Regional National, Gateway International,

St. Louis Triumph Owners Association members have an invitation to join Andy Stark and Frank Axelrod on Andy's first race with his newly rebuilt Triumph GT6.  Qualifying races start about 8 AM with the race being completed before 5 PM.  Andy will race his GT6 in the Regional on Saturday and Frank will race his Spitfire in the National on Sunday.  Andy and Frank will be at the track at about 7:00 AM each morning to set up a paddock area where SLTOA members can park their Triumphs.  We can put on a Triumph show at Gateway!  Admission to the races might be free since we are going in as guests of Andy and Frank.  Contact Andy for full details at: mailto:whitedog72@hotmail.com. or (636) 978-9128.  That way he will know how much space to reserve in the paddock for us to park.

Brits in the Ozarks All British Car & Cycle Show, October 12th, 2002

The British Iron Touring Club of Northwest Arkansas extends an invitation to all members of the St. Louis Triumph Owners Association, its supporters, fellow British Car enthusiasts, and all assorted hangers-on, to attend the First Annual Brits in the Ozarks All British Car & Cycle Show Benefiting the Razorback Chapter of the Muscular Dystrophy Association. This event will take place Saturday, October 12th, 2002,at Agri Park just North of the University of Arkansas campus in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Cars will compete in over 25 classes for People's Choice awards as well as various prizes awarded based solely upon the various prejudices and questionable taste of the organizers. Activities will include a drop-in hospitality room at the host hotel the night before the show, a fun run over some wonderful Ozarks roads, and a catered BBQ dinner/banquet at the pavilion located in Agri Park.

All proceeds from the event will go to MDA.  None of this will end up in our club treasury. The University permits only non-profit activities at Agri Park, so no vendors will be allowed.

If the rest of the family tends to run and hide when you talk about attending a British Car show, tell them that this is also the Autumn fest weekend in Fayetteville and that there will be many other activities going on around town for them to engage in while you "smell the rust" with the rest of us.

Fall in the Ozarks is a beautiful time to visit.   In a modern car Fayetteville is only 6 hours away from St. Louis.  Come join us for as much fun as we can figure out how to have and raise some money for a very good cause.  Registration packets will be ready soon and forwarded to your club.  For inquiries please call me, Bill Watkins, at (479) 6310-0054 in the evenings, (479)

636-2168, days, or e-mail at bwatkins@watkinslawoffice.com

We look forward to seeing you.

Christmas in July!?!?


Let’s not get “stuck” this year for a place and/or date for our Christmas Party.

It’s never too early to set up reservations for this annual event.

Agenda item for next meeting?  Formulate a date . . . select, don’t settle.


The following is the first installment of Detailing Tips and Tricks.  It is re-printed here in our newsletter, Exhaust Notes with the generous permission of Sir Brad Bloomquist, Esq.

#1 Myth: 

100% Carnuba wax?  

No waxes are 100% carnuba.  They may contain 100% carnuba but only in small amounts and it has to be reduced with solvents.  Pure carnuba is darker than honey in color (hence the warm, deep shine) and harder than cold candle wax.  It is sold by the cake (block) to manufacturers.  Aint marketing great!

Polymers such as Klasse and Meguiars #20, Or Zaino can protect the finish for several months. 

Most Carnubas begin to lose their effectiveness in 15-20 days.  The majority of waxes sold are hybrids of all three.

The quantity and type of oils and silicones in waxes and sealants determine the amount of shine and the durability of the product.  Not all of these are desirable.

Most sealants can be topped by carnuba waxes for special combinations of shine and durability.

Waxes and Sealants

Most consumer oriented waxes are “do-it-all” waxes.  These waxes make claims to clean, polish, remove scratches, protect and shine.  It’s true, they do it all… very poorly.  Avoid them.

Best results require proper paint prep!  Prepping the surface properly involves several specialized products that do their individual job much better than all-in-ones.

Paint cleansers, Compounds, Swirl removers and Glazes, are other products are used to prep the surface for a true show-car look.

Choosing a wax or sealant is very personal and depends upon your goals, expectations and amount of time you wish to invest.

In general, sealants offer far more durability than carnuba based waxes.  They last longer and are more resistant to surface swirls.  Many carnubas obtain a “deeper” shine but don’t last long.

Brad Bloomquist


News From the Pits, By Andy Stark

The following reports are Andy’s last three adventures in racing.

Topeka, June 1st & 2nd, 2002

Well it has been a busy few weeks since the last time I sat down to write up something.  The first event we did was Topeka regional/national race at the end of May. This was going to be my first real race. Frank wanted me to run his car on Sat. in the regional and he would run it Sun. in the National event. I was very excited to run his car. Even though it has some issues it is a very trick car that has potential of being a national champ.

The nice thing about road racing vs. auto cross is you get to practice and qualify. It gives you the opportunity to learn the track and what your car is going to do on that track. In my case I had to learn how to drive Frank’s car and learn the track and see what his car was capable of doing on this track. The two things I had to worry about going out were “don't blow the engine” and “don't hit anything”. I was nervous about both.

Once on the track I felt OK. Driving the car was like stepping back into my old white Spitfire that I auto crossed years before. It had about the same about of power and it handled kind of the same way but it had a lot more grip on the tires. I could drive much farther into the turns. After a couple of laps I was completely at home and started concentrating on learning the fast line around the track.  Topeka is a very technical track. There are places that are very fast and smooth and other places that are so slow and tight that I had to drop into second gear just to make it around with any power at all.

After about five laps I started picking the car apart. For the most part it was great. Little things bugged me. First were the tires. They were very out of balance. On the long straight I was not sure if it was the track or the tires but I could not hold a line to save my life. I was all over the place. Second, the car just did not run with others in its class. In the turns it held its own but as soon as power was needed the other cars walked away with little effort. This was a problem. No matter how good a car handles it has to have horsepower to win. I knew how to fix both problems. If I could get Frank to agree to the fix we would be in business.

 I ended up third in class out of four. Not great but I would just be happy to make the day without breaking the car. In the pits we agreed that the tires needed to be balanced. Jack and I took off the wheels and sent them over to the tire truck. I then set my attention to the engine. I was convinced it was the distributor. Since the previous event, I had not been able to convince Frank of how bad it was hurting the cars performance, so he had not allowed me to change it out. Since I had driven it I was more convinced than ever that the distributor was killing the engines potential. The engine was missing badly at the upper rpm range and had no acceleration. I again lost the discussion and the distributor stayed in. Others out at the track are more than willing to lend advice but you must be very careful what to listen to. At this point we were listening to MG guys who did not and still don't know much about Triumphs. We ended up messing with the mixture. In my heart I new this was wrong but I had to let my ego go and realize it was not my car. I was just a guest at this point.

I ran the race later in the afternoon. The tires were a great improvement but the engine ran worse. I decided to make the best of it as long as the gauges did not show anything bad. I ran most of the race stuck behind a very pretty Bugeye Sprite. We mixed it up running nose to tail for 5 or 6 laps. I was handling better but the Sprite had more power out of the turns. He also was a bit shaky in the turns and not taking a clean line. I felt unsure about passing him and possibly of geting hit. It was always in the back of my mind not to wreck Frank’s car.

Then came the Spec Racer Fords. If there is a group of cars that are a pain in the butt, the Spec racers are it. They are fast, and mostly rental cars. The guys that drive them treat them as such and don't really care how their driving affects others out on the track. There are some pretty nice guys out there but there are enough of the bad Spec racers to give them a really bad name. I met one of the bad ones. Once the Spec racers started coming up on our rear I opened the gap a little between the Sprite and myself. The first group of Spec racers came by pretty much ok. One got a little loose right in front of me but caught it and continued on his way. The second group of Spec racers were drafting each other nose to tail. I gave them the wave by and took the inside line to get out of their way. Two of the three made it OK but the third broke draft in order to sneak under the guy in front of him. The only problem was that I was still there! He broke into me. I was off the gas and on the brakes trying to prevent the bump but it was to late. At the last moment I turned into him hoping it would be enough to keep me on the track with out spinning. It worked and we bumped my nose to his tail. He ended up spinning into the dirt and I was able to keep Franks car under control and on the track. I finished the race without further incident and pulled into the pits.  From the look on Franks face he was not happy. When I got out of the car I could see why. The gentle bump actually did some damage. It knocked loose the headlight ring and pushed the hood mounts over an inch or so. Nothing major but I was not supposed to hit anything ;o)

To cap it all off I actually held onto third place only to be disqualified for weight. It seems the car was just a little heavy for Frank but 20lbs to light when I was in it. :o(  So I was bumped to last place. Luckily for me the chief steward was a really nice guy and he signed my logbook as if nothing happened.

Now comes the fun part! I told Frank about how poorly the engine was running and how there was no way this Spitfire could be that slow. He still did not want to change out the distributor. We went around getting all kinds of advice and retimed the engine and still it would not run well. Finally the SCCA broke out the beer and food. This gave us a chance to cool off and relax. After about an hour of food and beer I basically announced to Frank that I was going to fix his car. (Beer had a lot to do with this decision).

Now Frank has only known me for a short time and does not really know how much knowledge I have of these cars. His engine is also sacred ground to the engine builder who had said quite firmly not to touch the engine if it is running. So to have me do something major like changing out a distributor out at 9:00 PM the night before his National in a parking lot was almost beyond his limit.  My ego unfortunately would not let this car be. I knew what was wrong and could not stand to let it stay as-is any longer. The car was embarrassingly slow and my name was on it as the mechanic.

Lucky Frank had as much beer in him as I did, or I am pretty sure there would have been a wrestling match on the ground. I think he was too tired to argue with me any longer. So I staggered over to the car and started ripping it apart. For the most part, in my mind it was going to be an easy fix. All I had to do was take out the old distributor and swap parts into a new one and reinstall it. Easy right! No dammit! Its a Triumph! (A bastardized one at that.) I had two and a half spares with me in order to hopefully make one work.

The order of business was to mark the position of the old distributor and take it out. This was done quite easily. The next thing to do was see what it would take to swap parts. This is where I took the leap of faith. It turned out that the Distributor that was currently in the car was a late model electronic unit. They have a taller housing than the early models. This was part of the problem. The rotor was actually below the cap never making contact with the center electrode. To make things worse the housing was bent and the rotor hit the cap on two of the side electrodes. Also the mechanical advance system was out of whack and hitting the housing all around at random. This thing was junk! My leap of faith was taking the points plate out of the bad distributor and installing it in a better condition early model and have it work. I checked all the mounting points and screw holes and it looked as if it might work. Unfortunately in order to get it out I would have to completely destroy the distributor. That is when Frank almost lost it. It was now dark and he was pacing like an expectant father when I broke out the hammer. Not just any hammer a BFH hammer. I had to drive out the roll pin in the shaft in order to remove it from the housing. Frank was not prepared for this. He finally pretty much collapsed into a chair. And stared at me until it was done.

Once I got the roll pin out it was going back together pretty well. I did have some doubts about whether this was going to work or not but I was not saying anything. It was getting late and completely dark at this point. I put the new distributor in and it was 180 degrees out from the other one! Yikes. This is when my stomach did a flip. I looked at Frank and Jack and then the other distributor and figured I was hosed. In my mind I saying" Why the hell is this engine 180 degrees out? Was it some trick thing that the engine builder did?" I was freaked. Then luckily a guy who was standing around watching the show made the simple suggestion of pulling the gear out and rotating it 180 degrees. My mind started working again and I said, "Doh you’re right"

 I took it all apart again and retimed it 180 degrees. The second flip-flop of the day for my stomach was when it still did not start. At this point Frank was darn near heart attack stage. Then again my mind cleared the cobwebs and figured the new distributor had to be advanced a bunch in order to run on such a highly tuned engine. So I loosened it up and had Jack Fansher crank it over until it started. Once I rotated the distributor enough the car fired and settled into a sweet idle. Whew!  Time for bed.

The next day Frank went out and the car ran great. Better than it had since he owned it. More than likely that distributor had been holding the engine back for a long time. In Frank’s qualifier he was keeping up with and just about passing cars that in the past would leave him like he was standing still. He qualified fourth out of seven and pulled the car in early because he was concerned about oil temperature.

Again we listened to the wrong people. I fell for it too. Most of the people out there were saying oil temperature should not get over 200 degrees. Frank’s car was reading 250° to 260° at high rpms. We were told that this was bad! We could not reach the engine builder to ask him and ended up taking bad advice. We decided to go ahead and race but if the temperature went above 250 again we would back off and putt around until we had ten laps then call it a day.

At the start of the race Frank jumped onto the tail of an MG and did not let go. He later said he could have passed at any time but he was worried about the oil temperature. So after ten laps we packed it in. He was running third.

It turns out the temperature was fine. His engine takes the temperature leaving the block while most others take it leaving the oil cooler. The temperature would naturally be considerably higher out of the block. Lesson learned. But it was better to safe than have expensive damage done to a crank or cam.

So next event in St. Louis is the St. Louis regional National Aug 3rd & 4th. You are all invited to bring your cars out Sat. and Sun. to see the racing and my cars maiden race.

I have to add something about Jack Fansher. I did not mention him enough in this last segment and I should have. If it were not for Jack, this year would be a wash. Jack so far has been more helpful on Franks and my car than you could believe. Jack always stays busy and takes care of all the details while Frank and I go after the big headaches. If there was a member of the year award Jack would get it hands down for his efforts in supporting Frank and I with our race cars.

Thank you Jack!  I may just owe you my life.  Particularly after Frank saw the hammer!


Mid-Ohio Report – June 14th through 16th, 2002

Again it is the details that get ya!

Our next event this season was Mid-Ohio vintage festival. This year it was the 50th anniversary of Triumph. This is an event I have wanted to participate in for over a year. It really was the whole reason for me pushing to get my car done so quickly.

As the event drew near it became painfully obvious that I was not going to have a raceable car for this event. It was par for the course this year to not have my car ready when I wanted it to be. It really sucks growing up and having a job!  ;o)

After Topeka, Jack, Frank, and I had about a week and a half to get my car to move under its own power. We made a list of what had to be done and attacked it with feverish determination. The list did not seem that big but as most of you know the smallest job on a 30 year old Triumph can take five times the hours it really should. We ran into a lot of that in those last few days before Mid-Ohio.

I won't bore you with all of them but two of them stick out as humdingers that can really piss off a tired and hot guy in a hurry. The Sat. before Mid-Ohio (June 8th) was the first time my car was started. What should have been a simple push of a button turned into a day of frustrating hell for me. Frank, Jack, and I were all pretty excited to see this thing start. We had all been with the car from the start of the rebuild. This was going to be the crowning moment for our efforts. We pushed the car outside for the big moment early that afternoon. Everything was seemingly in order. We had oil, gas, battery, water, wheels blocked, car out of gear, starter fluid, fuel pressure, and fire extinguisher.  Jack turned on the master switch and I hit the starter. POP snort then nothing! I tried again. Nothing, not even a snort. Then the starter stopped!  We figured the engine was tight so we used a booster to make the starter turn faster. NOPE! That was not it. We did get it to turn over but quit trying when Frank saw a pretty impressive fireball underneath the car. The starter was really hot and so were the wires leading to it. Frank stated the obvious. The starter was not working properly. I agreed but felt it was something else. My ears were ringing with frustration.

First off I needed a stronger starter. This one was tired. Second, this car should have fired easier. With out telling Jack or Frank, I jumped in my truck and headed home to find another starter. (Being a pack rack has its advantages in these situations. Sure enough I had a couple starters in the garage. I took a quick restroom break and a one-line conversation with my wife. She asked, "Did it start?"   I answered "Nope!"   I then heard "Oh boy" as I shut the door in a flat run back to the truck. All the way back to Franks house it was eating at me that I had done something wrong inside the engine that was keeping it from starting. It had been several years since I had put together an engine and I have never build one as radical as this one before. I was very unsure of what I did at this point.

When I got back to Franks house Jack already had the old starter out for me. I put the new one in and we tried again. It turned over better but still did not start. Now I was really not happy. I was trying very hard to keep my cool. Then I figured I must have it timed wrong. I checked the distributor just as Frank was saying "I bet it is 180 degrees out."  Sure enough when I set it at top dead center the rotor was 180 degrees out. DOH!! So I pulled the distributor gear out and rotated it 180 degrees and put it back. I was really pissed at myself. I was sure I had the engine at TDC when I set the distributor gear. I must have had it on the wrong stroke.

Once it was all back together one push of the starter and it fired right up then quit. Started again then quit!  Started again and quit! What now!!!!  Turns out I had the ignition lead off of the solenoid on wrong. When I pushed the started button it gave me both starter and ignition. When I let go it killed the ignition.  Dumb mistake. Easy fix. We changed the lead and the car started and ran on its own for the first time!! :o)

Once it was started I went about the simple stuff of setting the carbs and dialing in the timing. It seemed to run OK. The carbs sneezed a bit and I would have to ask an expert on that but for the most part it worked.

Then the next day was when my car was coming home to my garage. Again this was a straightforward thing that just did not work out. Jack and I got over to Franks house early to pack up my stuff and load the car up on the trailer. Every thing worked well accept the clutch decide that this was the day to spring a leak. The fitting at the slave cylinder was leaking. It had been good for over a month sitting in the car being tested but today it leaks!

Jack and I tried several things, like retightening the fitting, thread tape, and a hammer. What finally worked was putting a small O-ring inside the fitting. I have never done this before but it seems to work quite well and is still holding.

Finally the car could move under its own power.  I shot it up the driveway and onto the trailer. It really felt good to be behind the wheel of my baby again.

Once my car was home it was a nonstop week of finishing up the wiring and plumbing as well as the general checking of every thing out. Finally the Tues night before I left it was done. Wednesday morning I packed up the family and headed to Mid-Ohio. Boy, it is a long drive! It took us over ten hours. Getting lost in Amish country didn’t help. Once we made it to the track everything just kind of fell into place. I went to registration and met up with Tom Strange who had invited me to share his paddock space along with Susan Hensley. I had never met these folks before but they took me under their wings and showed me a great time the whole weekend. Tom had an open car tent set up with everyone’s name on it. It was very cool. I left the car for a day and took the family to Cedar Point Roller Coaster Park on Thursday. (I highly recommend this park. It was great fun.) On Friday my wife told me she would take the kids for the day so I could do the Triumph thing alone with out interruption. What a sweetie! Friday was about the most fun I have ever had at a Triumph event. It was like going to Triumph heaven. The amount of racecars and road cars was unbelievable! It was almost like stepping back in time 25 years. I was beside myself with excitement. Everyone I met was a Triumph nut. They even had eight cars that were shipped over from England to race. I made a beeline over to there paddock to meet them. It turned out that three of the British guys I had corresponded with by e-mail on several occasions in the past. It was really cool to put the faces with the cars I had been drooling over for years. The British drivers and their crews were extremely nice and entertaining. Jack, Creig, and I spent Friday evening sharing stories and lots of beer with them.

Saturday morning I had a headache. I could not stay for very long Saturday due to a commitment in St. Louis. I packed up early-afternoon and headed home. I did get to see two races that had Triumphs in them and they were fantastic. I really wish I could have stayed until Sunday. If I would have thought that I could have run my car in the all Triumph race, I would have stayed. It was as ready as half the cars out there. It just would have taken some convincing on my part.

Creig will have a full report on the rest of the weekend I am sure.  (Brian Borgstede has it below!)

Boon Trail Corvette Club Autocross, Wentzville, June 23rd, 2002

Our next event was the shakedown of the Gt-6 at an auto cross. Not much to say except everything went pretty well other than a fan belt being a bit stubborn. The belt kept turning upside down. It was an easy fix by buying a slightly larger belt and replacing the bad one. I ran the car 9 times total and threw it around the track looking for the limits of the suspension. The short video that Craig took shows what happened when I found the limit exiting a turn. I was extremely surprised the car recovered.  I was going way to fast for the car to recover under normal autocross conditions. But it did! I was so surprised I actually forgot to keep driving the course. So as the video shows I pretty much stopped driving and went off course.  See http://www.sltoa.org/Members/Stark/Autocross062302/AutocrossVideo.htm

The shake down was very successful. No leaks and everything worked as good or better than I expected.

I am not sure how fast my car is going to be compared to the rest of the E-production cars but it is by far the hardest pulling Triumph I have driven to date. Really sets me back into the seat when I put the pedal down!


Mid Ohio as Best Recalled by Brian Borgstede

I rode out to Mid Ohio with Dave Massey in his TR8.  The car makes all the difference!

We left St. Louis Thursday afternoon and went to Ken Gano's house in Charleston, Ill.  for dinner.  Ken drove his MR2 with us to somewhere in Indiana where we spent the night.

We got to the track Friday afternoon to be greeted by the largest gathering of the Triumph community I have EVER seen.  I don't dare list all of the SLTOA members attending for fear of forgetting somebody, past and present members numbered into the teens! 

One of the big attractions was a group of drivers and eight Triumphs that came over from Britain. When we arrived on Friday it was just after Chris Petch nosed the TR5 into the wall.  The damage looked very bad.  That night, as we slept, John Lye (former SLTOA member and racer) helped put the TR5 back together with parts from a nearby junkyard.  Good thing they brought a right hand drive steering rack over from the UK!

Saturday was a rainy day, but the TR5 was under cover and we stopped by to get out of the rain and see the progress.  The infield was full of Triumphs for the show and shine part of the weekend.  All sorts of Triumph sports cars were on display including Le Mans TRS brought by The Roadster Factory.  The rain stopped long enough for qualifying and we gathered at various points along the track to see Triumphs at speed.  At lunchtime the track was opened for all Triumph parade laps.  I'm not saying I'm disappointed, but we moved faster in the traffic jam on 270 leaving St. Louis!  Dave and decided that if we were stuck in traffic that we should play the part and pulled out the cell phone for a quick game of "Guess where I'm calling you from?!?" and "Can you hear me now?…Good!".

Kas Kastner was on hand to visit and autograph our programs, our competition preparation manual, our CARS!  If you don't know, Kas Kastner wrote the Competition Preparation Manual for Triumph in the '60s.  This is still the bible used by racers and others to improve their cars. 

One of the boys from the UK group that was a lot of fun was John Whitely.  He brought a PI TR6.  After looking at the car, we saw that this was not the old Lucas PI, no-no!  This was electronic, multiport fuel injection that he programmed with a laptop computer!  Most of his car and the TR5 were fiberglass and aluminum.  These cars where way cool!

After qualifying on Saturday, the paddock area settled into a wonderful party atmosphere.  It turns out that the boys from the UK liked the American beer because they could drink more of it!  When one of them pulled a Sam Adams Beer from the cooler, we had some explaining to do.  He drank the beer anyway.  We partied late into the night with the UK boys.

Sunday was big day filled with excitement and racing Triumphs.  The big event was the All Triumph Race.  The UK boys, with a lot of help from some Yanks, got the TR5 ready to race.  That is one FAST Triumph!  It took first with the Pendle/Miller TR7V8 close behind.

Between races I couldn't find Dave.  When I did find him, he was cleaning his hands after helping the team put a new transmission in the Pendle/Miller TR7V8.  Turns out, the car lost fifth gear in the All Triumph race and still came in second.  With the help of Dave Massey and a new transmission, the Pendle/Miller TR7V8 went on to victory in the group 8 race with a MGBGT V8 in second, Chris in the TR5 third and Denny Wilson in forth driving a Lotus Seven.  Race results can be found at:


Some other sites with pictures and stories include:



Photos by our own Ken Dahman




Classified Ads:  Contact Creig Houghtaling at the address listed below, or oldtoys@brick.net or 636-305-1143 to place a free ad in this newsletter.

FOR SALE  -  1972 TRIUMPH GT6 MK3  Photos are posted:  http://www.sltoa.org/Members/Gilliam/Gilliam.htm

Original paint, very good condition.  Price drastically reduced to $3,500.  In need of minor maintenance, but that's it.

Begging to be driven.  Brenda Gilliam / 636-536-1272 / bgillus2@netscape.net





St. Louis Triumph Owners Association 

Creig Houghtaling

36 Copper Mountain Court

Fenton, MO 63026-5682